Judgemental: with Colleen Patrick-Goudreau, Dr Julia Minson, and Marla Rose
Those judgemental vegans. A charge you’ve probably heard (or perhaps even uttered).
But what is “judgement”? How does it really affect the relationships between vegans and others? What can scientists say about it? And how do vegan activists react to the charge?
Dr Julia Minson explains the science.
Marla Rose explains exactly how Bacon Loving Hipsters Can Kiss Her Vegan Ass.
And Colleen Patrick-Goudreau discusses the psychology and experience of “judgemental vegans”.
The compassionate cook is a leading vegan advocate across several media, including podcasts (VegNews favourite podcast 2011). Another podcast host – Erin Grayson of Red Radio – has a tattoo that asks what Colleen would do.
Just in case you haven’t heard of her, she’s the author of several vegan cookbooks, the producer of the 30 Day Vegan Challenge online course, and a speaker who is famous for espousing veganism in a spiritual and non-judgemental way.
She relates Julia Minson’s research to her experience as an advocate, and discusses how she tries not to be judgemental – even at barbecues.
Marla Rose practices a range of advocacy.
Her Vegan Feminist Agitator blog and Bacon Loving Hipsters Can Kiss My Vegan Ass Facebook group offer vegans laughs; she’s written a book about a 15 year old vegan superhero with empathy superpowers; and when we called her home was in the midst of preparations for the outreach event Chicago Veganmania.
Diana asks her if her humour is, perhaps, judgemental: and Marla describes how she resented the smug vegan who convinced her to drop animal products.
Dr Julia Minson
Julia Minson is a postdoctoral fellow in social psychology at the Wharton School of Business at the University of Pennsylvania.
She researches how attitudes change and “moral minorities”, a term which aptly defines vegans. She’s also a vegetarian.
Julia talks with Diana about her research into attitudes to vegetarians, and how insulting vegetarians might make you more likely to adopt their views.
Diana also discussed “Anti-social punishment” with Colleen. This is the phenomenon of punishing people for being too nice. (The more usual kind of punishment, such as jailing bank robbers, is “pro-social”.)
- Julia discusses Do-Gooder Derogation : Disparaging Morally Motivated Minorities to Defuse Anticipated Reproach (PDF) (abstract), Julia A. Minson and Benoît Monin, Social Psychological and Personality Science 2012 3: 200
During our chat with Colleen, we played her Dr Minson’s interview and summarised Marla’s; and then I edited it together. The guests don’t sound like they’re on VoIP because this month all our guests sent us recordings of their side of the conversation. Thanks!
About Ian McDI'm a British new media person with a passion for radio, and interested in the kind of stories best told when we see humans as part of the world of animal minds. I blogged about why I'm producing The Vegan Option.
Free Email Updates
- Ep 1: Ahimsa Jan 22, 2016
- Digital Vegans: Picking up the Tab, with Stephanie Redcross of Vegan Mainstream Feb 2, 2014
- Palm Oil: with Catherine Laurence, Eric Lambin, Orangutan rescuer Daniek Hendarto, RSPO SG Darrel Webber Sep 13, 2013
- Science Fiction and Animals: from Jonathan Swift and HG Wells to Star Trek and Doctor Who; with Sherryl Vint, Robert McKay, and Tara Lomax Jul 5, 2013
- Cats: Ethics. With Erin Red, Evolution Diet’s Eric Weisman, and vets Lorelei Wakefield, Andrew Knight, and Jean Hofve Mar 13, 2013
- Cats: Can they be vegan? With vets Lorelei Wakefield, Andrew Knight, and Jean Hofve; and special guest Erin Red Feb 1, 2013
- Extended interviews on iTunes, starting with Dr Julia Minson Jan 8, 2013
- South East Asia: Finding Vegan Food in Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand and Cambodia Nov 28, 2012
- Judgemental: with Colleen Patrick-Goudreau, Dr Julia Minson, and Marla Rose Oct 6, 2012
- London Olympics: Closing Update with Vx, Animals in the Opening Ceremony, and Vegan Food Aug 13, 2012
Most Popular Now
- Ep 1: Ahimsa
- Veganism in Politics: Chris Williamson MP, Cathy Jamieson MP and Kerry McCarthy MP with questions from Dennis Kucinich and Maneka Gandhi
- Is cheese really addictive?
- Vegan Cheese: Casein, Casomorphins, and the Daiya Redwoods Vegusto Taste Test
- Judgemental: social attitudes towards vegetarians