South East Asia: Finding Vegan Food in Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand and Cambodia
Travelling Vegan in SE Asia
In 2009, I travelled through South East Asia from equatorial island to the far north of Thailand, discovering the vegetarian threads running through the region. Hear Diana and I banter about my trials and triumphs on everything from missing passports to cheeky elephants.(25 min) Play or download (MP3 26MB) (other formats) (via iTunes)
I talked with:
- Jack from Whole Earth restaurant in Singapore
- Chong Keng Hoon from Luk Yea Yan in Penang, Malaysia
- Nan from Taste from Heaven in Chaing Mai, Thailand
- Nicolas from Chamkar in Siem Reap, Cambodia.
These links are mostly to reviews on Happy Cow – whose founder Eric Brent was on our episode about Digital Vegans.
Elephant Nature Park
Taste from Heaven raises money for the Elephant Nature Park, where I volunteered. I talked about washing Elephants in the show: here are some of my holiday snaps. Click on the thumbnails for the full picture.
Before The Vegan Option, I produced some five minute podcasts under a pseudonym, and released them at Verdant Reports .org. They include three five minute clips about my journey through SE Asia.
(Verdant Reports didn’t really catch on. Perhaps because they didn’t have Diana to keep me in check, and perhaps because the name is both obscure and difficult to spell out in your web browser.)
Those reports use the same interviews but are more focussed on travel advice, so you might find them useful if you’re planning to go to the region.
20% of chefs surveyed by the Time Out New York Kitchen Report admitted to putting animals in the ostensibly vegetarian option (in a graphic that’s since been removed from the page).
Diana mentioned the Supreme Master restaurants (which we in London know as “Loving Hut”).
Other Vegan Travelogues
Colleen Patrick-Goudreau was part of our last episode, Judgemental!, advising us on how not to be, well, judgemental. She podcast her visit to the UK (although, sadly, she did not visit us in London):
- A Journey Through England and Scotland Through the Eyes of an Animal-Centric, Anglophilic, Literary Geek
Jasmin Singer and Dr Mariann Sullivan of Our Hen House drove across the United States to get to Marianne’s new job in Portland. During their “Great American Road Trip”, they continued to podcast every week:
- Episode 130, with Honey LaBronx
- Episode 131, with Isa Chandra Moskowitz, Katie Olson, and Brian Endl
- Episode 132, with Bonnie Goodman from Mordamart, Sue Eakins from New Dawn Sanctuary, Kit and Pete Jagoda of Rivers Wish Sanctuary, and Tracy Martin of Rabbitron
- Episode 133, with Rich Roll
Thanks also to Kip Dorrell of Messy Vegetarian Cook, who took the picture of Taste from Heaven’s Choo Chee Curry at the top of the page during her own trip to Thailand’s Kin Jay national vegetarian festival.
About Ian McDI'm a British new media person with a passion for radio, and interested in the kind of stories best told when we see humans as part of the world of animal minds. I blogged about why I'm producing The Vegan Option.
Free Email Updates
- VegHist Ep 8: Contacts. Indian Sufism, Bhakti, Akbar, Portuguese Christianity, and Gaudiya Vaishnavism Oct 6, 2016
- VegHist Ep 7: Heresies. On Chinese Buddhists, Cathars, Bogomils, Islam, and Manichaeans. With Vincent Gooseart, John Arnold, Jason BeDuhn, and Ven. Chueh Yun; at the Fo Guang Shan Buddhist Temple, in London Sep 6, 2016
- VegHist Ep 6: Hinduism. On Indian Vegetarianism, Vaishnavism, Satvik, and Mahayana Buddhism; with Sanjukta Gupta, Deepak Anand, and Ranjan Garavu; at Ananta Vasudeva Temple, Bhubaneswar and Nalanda Mahavihara Jul 5, 2016
- Vegan Politicians: Kerry McCarthy MP on Brexit Jun 11, 2016
- VegHist Ep 5: Flesh and Spirit. On Egyptian monasticism, Early Christianity, Plutarch, Neoplatonism, and Manicheansim; with David Grummet, Nicholas Baker-Brian, Michael Beer, and Fr. Abouna Yostas St. Athanasius Jun 7, 2016
- VegHist Ep 4: Ashoka. On India’s animal advocate Buddhist king and the spread of the śramanas; with Bharati Pal and Suchandra Ghosh; at the Kalinga rock edict, India May 3, 2016
- VegHist Ep 3: Pythagoreans. On the Cults of Orpheus and Pythagoras in Ancient Greece; with Hugh Bowden, Michael Beer, John Wilkins, and Armand D’Angour Apr 5, 2016
- VegHist Ep 2: The Middle Path. On Siddharta Gautama, and Buddhism; with Rev Varasambodhi Thera, Peter Flugel, and Richard Gombrich; at Mahabodhi Temple, Bodhgaya, India Mar 1, 2016
- VegHist Ep 1: Ahimsa. Mahavir, the Jains, and other śramaṇas; with DN Jha, James Serpell, Richard Gombrich, & GC Tripathi; at Veerayatan, Rajgir, India Jan 22, 2016
- Digital Vegans: Picking up the Tab, with Stephanie Redcross of Vegan Mainstream Feb 2, 2014
Most Popular Now
- Science Fiction and Animals: from Jonathan Swift and HG Wells to Star Trek and Doctor Who; with Sherryl Vint, Robert McKay, and Tara Lomax
- Cats: Can they be vegan? With vets Lorelei Wakefield, Andrew Knight, and Jean Hofve; and special guest Erin Red
- Lab Meat: Survey Results
- On Anthropomorphism: A Short Introduction
- About Diana (co-host 2011-12)