South East Asia: Finding Vegan Food in Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand and Cambodia
Travelling Vegan in SE Asia
In 2009, I travelled through South East Asia from equatorial island to the far north of Thailand, discovering the vegetarian threads running through the region. Hear Diana and I banter about my trials and triumphs on everything from missing passports to cheeky elephants.
I talked with:
- Jack from Whole Earth restaurant in Singapore
- Chong Keng Hoon from Luk Yea Yan in Penang, Malaysia
- Nan from Taste from Heaven in Chaing Mai, Thailand
- Nicolas from Chamkar in Siem Reap, Cambodia.
These links are mostly to reviews on Happy Cow – whose founder Eric Brent was on our episode about Digital Vegans.
Elephant Nature Park
Taste from Heaven raises money for the Elephant Nature Park, where I volunteered. I talked about washing Elephants in the show: here are some of my holiday snaps. Click on the thumbnails for the full picture.
Before The Vegan Option, I produced some five minute podcasts under a pseudonym, and released them at Verdant Reports .org. They include three five minute clips about my journey through SE Asia.
(Verdant Reports didn’t really catch on. Perhaps because they didn’t have Diana to keep me in check, and perhaps because the name is both obscure and difficult to spell out in your web browser.)
Those reports use the same interviews but are more focussed on travel advice, so you might find them useful if you’re planning to go to the region.
20% of chefs surveyed by the Time Out New York Kitchen Report admitted to putting animals in the ostensibly vegetarian option (in a graphic that’s since been removed from the page).
Diana mentioned the Supreme Master restaurants (which we in London know as “Loving Hut”).
Other Vegan Travelogues
Colleen Patrick-Goudreau was part of our last episode, Judgemental!, advising us on how not to be, well, judgemental. She podcast her visit to the UK (although, sadly, she did not visit us in London):
- A Journey Through England and Scotland Through the Eyes of an Animal-Centric, Anglophilic, Literary Geek
Jasmin Singer and Dr Mariann Sullivan of Our Hen House drove across the United States to get to Marianne’s new job in Portland. During their “Great American Road Trip”, they continued to podcast every week:
- Episode 130, with Honey LaBronx
- Episode 131, with Isa Chandra Moskowitz, Katie Olson, and Brian Endl
- Episode 132, with Bonnie Goodman from Mordamart, Sue Eakins from New Dawn Sanctuary, Kit and Pete Jagoda of Rivers Wish Sanctuary, and Tracy Martin of Rabbitron
- Episode 133, with Rich Roll
Thanks also to Kip Dorrell of Messy Vegetarian Cook, who took the picture of Taste from Heaven’s Choo Chee Curry at the top of the page during her own trip to Thailand’s Kin Jay national vegetarian festival.
About Ian McDonaldI'm a British new media person with a passion for radio, and interested in the kind of stories best told when we see humans as part of the world of animal minds. I blogged about why I'm producing The Vegan Option.
- Digital Vegans: Picking up the Tab, with Stephanie Redcross of Vegan Mainstream February 2, 2014
- Palm Oil: with Catherine Laurence, Eric Lambin, Orangutan rescuer Daniek Hendarto, RSPO SG Darrel Webber September 13, 2013
- Science Fiction and Animals: from Jonathan Swift and HG Wells to Star Trek and Doctor Who; with Sherryl Vint, Robert McKay, and Tara Lomax July 5, 2013
- Cats: Ethics. With Erin Red, Evolution Diet’s Eric Weisman, and vets Lorelei Wakefield, Andrew Knight, and Jean Hofve March 13, 2013
- Cats: Can they be vegan? With vets Lorelei Wakefield, Andrew Knight, and Jean Hofve; and special guest Erin Red February 1, 2013
- Extended interviews on iTunes, starting with Dr Julia Minson January 8, 2013
- South East Asia: Finding Vegan Food in Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand and Cambodia November 28, 2012
- Judgemental: with Colleen Patrick-Goudreau, Dr Julia Minson, and Marla Rose October 6, 2012
- London Olympics: Closing Update with Vx, Animals in the Opening Ceremony, and Vegan Food August 13, 2012
- London Olympics: interview with Kara Lang, vegan Olympian, Canada soccer team August 9, 2012
- London Olympics July 27, 2012
- Vegan Cheese: Casein, Casomorphins, and the Daiya Redwoods Vegusto Taste Test July 4, 2012
- Born Vegan at Vegfest UK, with Ruby Roth, Mair Perkins, and a studio audience May 31, 2012
- Born Vegan: from 1976 UK TV to the Hebrew Israelites, three very different vegan childhoods May 1, 2012
- Lab Meat: Can in vitro meat save the animals? With Nicholas Genovese, David Pearce, and Jordi Casamitjana April 3, 2012
- Rebel Poet: Benjamin Zephaniah discusses the life of Abul ʿala Al-Maʿarri (أبو العلاء المعري), the medieval Arab vegan philosopher poet March 6, 2012
- Digital Vegans: with Happy Cow founder, iPhone apps, London Vegans, and Kerry McCarthy MP January 30, 2012
- Peace on Earth: will we ever have it? With Peter Singer and Gary Francione discussing Steven Pinker’s “The Better Angels of our Nature” December 20, 2011
- Veganism in Politics: The British Parliament Debates World Vegan Day December 13, 2011
- Veganism in Politics: Chris Williamson MP, Cathy Jamieson MP and Kerry McCarthy MP answer your questions December 1, 2011
Most Popular Now
- Veganism in Politics: Chris Williamson MP, Cathy Jamieson MP and Kerry McCarthy MP with questions from Dennis Kucinich and Maneka Gandhi
- Judgemental: with Colleen Patrick-Goudreau, Dr Julia Minson, and Marla Rose
- The Pledge statistics - Do vegans thrive in adversity?
- Cats: Ethics. With Erin Red, Evolution Diet's Eric Weisman, and vets Lorelei Wakefield, Andrew Knight, and Jean Hofve
- Vegan Cheese: Casein, Casomorphins, and the Daiya Redwoods Vegusto Taste Test