Vegan Politicians: Kerry McCarthy MP on Brexit
As the British public make their biggest decision in a generation, Ian asks Kerry McCarthy MP about the potential impact of Brexit on animals.
Vegan MP on EU Referendum
In this special short extra edition of the Vegan Option, Ian catches up with longstanding vegan MP, and main official opposition spokeswoman on farming and the environment, Kerry McCarthy. How does she think animals would vote? (And, for that matter, how will Ian?)
I also mentioned the UK Government’s recent proposal (now withdrawn) to make the poultry industry self-regulating.
Party Spokeswomen and man on Brexit:
- “A Vote for the EU is a vote for Animals” by Kerry McCarthy MP, Labour shadow secretary of state for the Department of Environment, Food, and Rural Affairs
- “If Animals Could Vote, they Would Vote to Remain” by Keith Taylor MEP, Green party spokesman on animals
- “Leave or Remain? AWP’s position …” by Vanessa Hudson, leader of the Animal Welfare Party
Podcaster and YouTuber VeganTrix (SoundCloud) filmed Kerry McCarthy’s full talk to VegFestUK. It’s an hour long and very interesting, with a bit of gossip about life as a vegan MP. Plus, I’m in it. An audio-only version will be up soon.
- A video explainer for non-Brits from the Guardian
- “In or Out, that is the Question” by Jasmijn de Boo (quoted in the show)
- “Brexit would be Disastrous for Britain’s Farmed Animals” by Sam Barker in The Guardian
- “Will EU Exit put a Stop to Live Animal Exports?” from Kent News
- “What would Brexit mean for Animals?” by Maria Chiorando in Vegan Life magazine
- “Greener In – Obviously!” by Jonathon Porritt (not about animal issues, but is about the tension between ethical regulation and other political priorities)
Music by Robb Masters. Interview recorded at VegFestUK Bristol.