In the Olympics shows, we talked about the use of animals in the opening ceremony and when the decision to use them was made.
London Olympics: Closing Update
As the athletes celebrate their victories and defeats, and the Spice Girls rock the closing ceremony, we look back over the Olympics and update you on the vegan stories behind the games.
- We catch up with the vegan stories behind the Olympics, like Sandra Hood, Pogocafe, and Frys
- Ian updates you on the use of animals in the Opening Ceremony
- Rudy tells us who’s been coming to Vx, the little vegan shop that was braced for a difficult Olympics
- We sum up the experience of vegans looking for food at the Olympic Venues
Misleading or false stories (eg an offensive video game based on a real manhunt for a serial killer) can spread across the media because, with pressure on journalists to find good stories quickly, they were “too good to check”.
So if professional journalists don’t always check their facts, it’s no surprise that bloggers can relax their criteria, especially when motivated to show that athletic feats can be powered by a plant based diet.
Kara Lang, Vegan Olympian
Kara Lang holds the record as the youngest woman ever to score a goal in international soccer – but her passions also include vegan cupcakes.
Now retired from football, she took time out from her busy schedule as part of Canadian station CTV’s Olympic team to talk to me about her story, touring, and the vegan mentor she improbably found in her own national squad.(10min) Play or download (9.5 MB MP3) (other formats) (via iTunes)
Athletes from across the world are coming to East London – where we produce the show – but what are the vegan perspectives on the Olympic games?
- Diana talks to Sandra Hood, who wrote the book on raising vegan children, about carrying the Olympic torch
- Amazingly, keeping the Olympics supplied with a vegan mince that caters can use as a drop in substitute for ground meat is down to one small company – I visit the father and daughter who are supplying the Olympic games with the vegan option
- What do the locals think? The staff of the nearest vegan cafe to the games have their say.
- We fill you in on the stories you might have heard in the media – Venus Williams‘s diet, the Chinese volleyball team, and the use of animals in the opening ceremony