As you may remember from our Judgemental episode we interviewed Dr. Julia Minson at the Wharton School about her research on “Do Gooder Derogation” – the phenomenon of people thinking worse of those who are behaving morally or prosocially (PDF of the Minson and Monin paper).
Listen to my full extended interview with her (she laughs endearingly like Marge Simpson doesn’t she?):
Some of you might be questioning the whole premise saying to yourself “hey, do people really think that vegetarians are doing good?”. But that is what Julia found.
Even though people tend to rate themselves as better than others, and (Dr Minson found) more moral than others, even meat-eaters rated vegetarians as more moral than average (i.e. other) meat-eaters.
Free Email Updates
- VegHist Ep 13: The Vegetarians. [FIXED] Abolitionism, colonialism, and Victorian reformers. With Julia Twigg and Bhaskar Chakraborty. In London May 16, 2017
- VegHist Ep 12: Radicals & Romantics. Bible Christians, Grahamites, and Transcendentalists. With Adam Shprintzen and Derek Antrobus; at Deerfields, Fruitlands, and Salford Apr 28, 2017
- VegHist Ep 11: Enlightenment. Colonial India, Voltaire, Rousseau, and the French Revolution. With Partha Chatterjee, Christophe Martin, and Renan Larue; at the Black Hole of Calcutta, and Musée Rousseau Montmerency Feb 7, 2017
- VegHist Ep 10: Revolution. English civil war, diet gurus, and the poetry of Sensibility. With Tristram Stuart and Anita Guerrini; at the Ahmedabad Panjrapole Jan 3, 2017
- VegHist Ep 9: Renaissance. Descartes, Montaigne, Gassendi, and the “sparing diet” Dec 8, 2016
- VegHist Ep 8: Contacts. Indian Sufism, Bhakti, Akbar, Portuguese Christianity, and Gaudiya Vaishnavism Oct 6, 2016
- VegHist Ep 7: Heresies. On Chinese Buddhists, Cathars, Bogomils, Islam, and Manichaeans. With Vincent Gooseart, John Arnold, Jason BeDuhn, and Ven. Chueh Yun; at the Fo Guang Shan Buddhist Temple, in London Sep 6, 2016
- VegHist Ep 6: Hinduism. On Indian Vegetarianism, Vaishnavism, Satvik, and Mahayana Buddhism; with Sanjukta Gupta, Deepak Anand, and Ranjan Garavu; at Ananta Vasudeva Temple, Bhubaneswar and Nalanda Mahavihara Jul 5, 2016
- Vegan Politicians: Kerry McCarthy MP on Brexit Jun 11, 2016
- VegHist Ep 5: Flesh and Spirit. On Egyptian monasticism, Early Christianity, Plutarch, Neoplatonism, and Manicheansim; with David Grummet, Nicholas Baker-Brian, Michael Beer, and Fr. Abouna Yostas St. Athanasius Jun 7, 2016
Most Popular Now
- Vegetarianism: The Story So Far
- VegHist Ep 13: The Vegetarians. [FIXED] Abolitionism, colonialism, and Victorian reformers. With Julia Twigg and Bhaskar Chakraborty. In London
- Cats: Ethics. With Erin Red, Evolution Diet's Eric Weisman, and vets Lorelei Wakefield, Andrew Knight, and Jean Hofve
- VegHist Ep 12: Radicals & Romantics. Bible Christians, Grahamites, and Transcendentalists. With Adam Shprintzen and Derek Antrobus; at Deerfields, Fruitlands, and Salford
- Cats: Can they be vegan? With vets Lorelei Wakefield, Andrew Knight, and Jean Hofve; and special guest Erin Red