Vegetarianism: The Story So Far
People have been arguing for vegetarianism for a very long time. The history of animal advocacy stretches back to iron age Greece and India, where voices emerge from prehistory challenging the idea that other animals exist soley for humans.
This 15-part series tells the whole story, from antiquity to the present, spanning the world. People around the world have told me about their part of the story. I’ve examined a royal inscription from an Indian king with one of the few people who can read it; and seen vegetarian shoes made in post-revolutionary America. And I want to share these stories with you
Listen here, or at the many apps and websites in the “Get Free Shows” box.
Episodes are being released one a month during 2016 and early 2017.
Resonance FM will broadcast them to Greater London on the first Tuesday of every month at 5pm, repeated 10:30am on the following Monday. Listen in on 104.4 FM if within transmitter range, or on DAB (UDAB multiplex; more info [PDF]).
- VegHist Ep 1: Ahimsa. Mahavir, the Jains, and other śramaṇas; with DN Jha, James Serpell, Richard Gombrich, & GC Tripathi; at Veerayatan, Rajgir, India
- VegHist Ep 2: The Middle Path. On Siddharta Gautama, and Buddhism; with Rev Varasambodhi Thera, Peter Flugel, and Richard Gombrich; at Mahabodhi Temple, Bodhgaya, India
- VegHist Ep 3: Pythagoreans. On the Cults of Orpheus and Pythagoras in Ancient Greece; with Hugh Bowden, Michael Beer, John Wilkins, and Armand D’Angour
- VegHist Ep 4: Ashoka. On India’s animal advocate Buddhist king and the spread of the śramanas; with Bharati Pal and Suchandra Ghosh; at the Kalinga rock edict, India
- VegHist Ep 5: Flesh and Spirit. On Egyptian monasticism, Early Christianity, Plutarch, Neoplatonism, and Manicheansim; with David Grummet, Nicholas Baker-Brian, Michael Beer, and Fr. Abouna Yostas St. Athanasius
- VegHist Ep 6: Hinduism. On Indian Vegetarianism, Vaishnavism, Satvik, and Mahayana Buddhism; with Sanjukta Gupta, Deepak Anand, and Ranjan Garavu; at Ananta Vasudeva Temple, Bhubaneswar and Nalanda Mahavihara
- VegHist Ep 7: Heresies. On Chinese Buddhists, Cathars, Bogomils, Islam, and Manichaeans. With Vincent Gooseart, John Arnold, Jason BeDuhn, and Ven. Chueh Yun; at the Fo Guang Shan Buddhist Temple, in London
Recent #VegHist updates:
- Our Hen House interviews Ian Sep 24, 2016
- VegHist Ep 7: Heresies. On Chinese Buddhists, Cathars, Bogomils, Islam, and Manichaeans. With Vincent Gooseart, John Arnold, Jason BeDuhn, and Ven. Chueh Yun; at the Fo Guang Shan Buddhist Temple, in London Sep 6, 2016
- Know Your Roots Sep 2, 2016
- Catching a summer breath Aug 12, 2016
- VegHist Ep 6: Hinduism. On Indian Vegetarianism, Vaishnavism, Satvik, and Mahayana Buddhism; with Sanjukta Gupta, Deepak Anand, and Ranjan Garavu; at Ananta Vasudeva Temple, Bhubaneswar and Nalanda Mahavihara Jul 5, 2016
Read more about Vegetarian History at:
- The International Vegetarian Union, which archives many historic documents and some PhD theses thanks to tireless work by John Davis.
- John Edmundson archives modern vegetarian history at the Ernest Bell Library and Henry Salt Archive. He blogs at Happy Cow and shares finds on FB.
- Wikipedia: History of Vegetarianism