London Olympics: hunting vegan food
Listener Helen Louise is going to the Paralympics – which take place two weeks after the Olympics – and wants to know what the vegan options have been at the games.
Vegan spectators have shared their successes and failures at finding vegan food with the world on social media – and with us directly.
So here is the story of vegan food at the Olympics, as heard in our third and final Olympics show, told via Twitter.
London Olympics: Closing Update with Vx, Animals in the Opening Ceremony, and Vegan Food
London Olympics: Closing Update
As the athletes celebrate their victories and defeats, and the Spice Girls rock the closing ceremony, we look back over the Olympics and update you on the vegan stories behind the games.
- We catch up with the vegan stories behind the Olympics, like Sandra Hood, Pogocafe, and Frys
- Ian updates you on the use of animals in the Opening Ceremony
- Rudy tells us who’s been coming to Vx, the little vegan shop that was braced for a difficult Olympics
- We sum up the experience of vegans looking for food at the Olympic Venues
(15 min) Play or download (14MB MP3) (other formats) (via iTunes)
London Olympics: interview with Kara Lang, vegan Olympian, Canada soccer team
Kara Lang, Vegan Olympian
Kara Lang holds the record as the youngest woman ever to score a goal in international soccer – but her passions also include vegan cupcakes.
Now retired from football, she took time out from her busy schedule as part of Canadian station CTV’s Olympic team to talk to me about her story, touring, and the vegan mentor she improbably found in her own national squad.
(10min) Play or download (9.5 MB MP3) (other formats) (via iTunes)
Athletes from across the world are coming to East London – where we produce the show – but what are the vegan perspectives on the Olympic games?
- Diana talks to Sandra Hood, who wrote the book on raising vegan children, about carrying the Olympic torch
- Amazingly, keeping the Olympics supplied with a vegan mince that caters can use as a drop in substitute for ground meat is down to one small company – I visit the father and daughter who are supplying the Olympic games with the vegan option
- What do the locals think? The staff of the nearest vegan cafe to the games have their say.
- We fill you in on the stories you might have heard in the media – Venus Williams‘s diet, the Chinese volleyball team, and the use of animals in the opening ceremony
(24 min) Play or download (20MB MP3) (other formats) (via iTunes)